So this is a basic asset that I created while working on the final project at Full Sail University that I completely forgot to post to this portfolio! It was intended to function essentially as a loot box, giving the play a random module or two after destroying it. I modeled 2 separate assets, the first being an individual crate and the second being the station that holds them. They aren’t anything particularly fancy, but I created them entirely from UDK’s BSP brushes. They system for editing them is a little clunky when trying to make anything really detailed, but I feel like these came out pretty well, all things considered.
So, four long months have brought me here. The final project for Full Sail University is finally complete. And here it is for you to see! We’re all pretty proud of the work we did. There are still a few bugs and some issues we ran into when cooking this (some textures missing in the 3rd Chapter), but the gameplay is where we want it. Unfortunately we ran out of time to give all the different modules something other than their placeholder models. I’m providing a video showcase and the link to the .exe for the build if you wish to play!
So, one month into my Final Project at Full Sail University, and so much has happened.
For starters, the first thing we had to do was submit a high-concept pitch for a game. Here’s mine:
This was just a general feel for a game. Showing off what it could be at its core. Much to my delight, the instructors behind the Final Project courses decided it was good enough to be approved. Out of about 30 designs submitted by fellow students, mine was 1 of 9 to get approved! This itself was a great feeling, but then my team said that it was their top choice to work on!
So over the past month, that’s what we’ve been working on. Creating a prototype for The Depths of Space. It’s been a fairly stressful month, as expected, but we’ve managed to get a very solid build. The following video is a brief showcase of what the prototype can do.
EDIT: Sorry, but there is no sound coming from the game just yet. Also, because this is a prototype, all assets are just placeholders.
As the title suggests, we had one month to take a Game Design Document from a group of students a few months ahead of us and make a prototype showcasing all of the major mechanics in the game. This included things like falling rocks that do damage, changing attributes to the player character by switching between states and charging enemies. For the most part, we were able to get everything up and running. The charging enemy AI was giving us (and our instructors) some problems, but we figured out a work-around. This being a prototype, it didn’t need to be perfect. It just needed to show that the mechanics were possible. The members of the group were myself, Carlos Medellin, Erik Midkiff, Andrew Montgomery, John Owen and Adam Sasso. Below is a video playthrough.
Here is a link to the Dropbox folder containing the install file
The Clinic is an environment created by myself and four other team members for our level design course. We decided to go for a sort of dark feel for the overall design. Each team member had one section of the level, with an announcement displaying the name of the person that worked on the area. The story behind the level is that the player is dropped in an alley and proceeds to a clinic that wasn’t exactly official. They are tasked with finding some syringes and will find several on their way through the building. Eventually the player gets to the back door of a convenience store, which is fronting the clinic. Outside the player is instructed to get to the helicopter and the level ends. The level isn’t perfect, it certainly could use some more polishing, but we were proud of it.
This is a video playthrough of the level
And here is a link to the Dropbox folder containing the files needed to install the level and play it yourself! Just be sure that when you launch the game, you click on “Instant Action”, the number of opponents is 0, the time limit is 0, and the map is “TeamAsparagus_TheClinic”